Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Proposed Government

+4
Pulpable
qwikzotik
Chev
Ezmac
8 posters

Go down

Proposed Government Empty Proposed Government

Post by Ezmac Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 am

The following is my proposal for guild governance, this post is intended to start discussion so that we can determine a model of rule making and responsibility to resolve guild issues. I'd like to get this model determined within 7 days so we can nail down some structure and get on to gaming. Please read the below and make suggestions:

------------

We all know what happened to the last guild without some rules and regulations. I'm an anarchist and generally wary of government. On the other hand, I've had enough experience incorporating small companys to know that some organization, accountability and leadership is a necessity. Finally, we should have a system to review grievances and resolve conflicts.

To this end, I propose we follow the example provided by most incorporating laws and business associations, briefly explained as follows:

1) Board of Directors

We have a board of directors, typically a board is 3-5 members large. An odd number so that votes can be resolved and a quorum (bare majority) can be established to hold such votes. While 5 is ideal, I think we should start with 3 since our numbers our modest with a target to expand to 5 by the WotLK expansion.

To elect a board, each account on the guild should be provided as many votes as there are board seats, or what is called cumulative voting. Therefore, since I propose we start with 3 board seats, each account will have 3 votes to be allocated however the voter wishes. For example, a single voter could: (i) vote for 1 person 3 times; (ii) vote for 3 people, once each; or (iii) vote for 2 people, one getting 2 votes, the other getting one.

Board Responsibilities:[u]

The Board would have the final authority on all decisions for the guild. Decisions would be voted on by a majority of directors. The board can also delegate authority to any committee of any of guild members--for example, the board could assign 1, 2 or 3 interested members to design a tabbard or come up with a better guild name.

Generally, I think the board should try to take a back seat and just be responsible for gathering information and then making an informed decision on how to prioritize raiding attendance, when to schedule raids or organized BG's, arena teams, guild bank administration, etc. The idea is to have a group of people responsible for decisions, spread the burden of authority, but also, ultimately to have some people accountable and responsible to resolve issues, when issues arise.

------

Let's keep this post up for a week, everyone pipe up with thoughts, critiques, concerns and ideas and then at the end of next Thursday we should decide to either vote on the board or follow another path of governance for the guild.

cheers,
Ez
Ezmac
Ezmac

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2007-07-01

Back to top Go down

Proposed Government Empty Re: Proposed Government

Post by Chev Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 am

What happens in case of a tie
and can people vote for themselves? Twisted Evil

Chev
Admin

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-04-17

Back to top Go down

Proposed Government Empty voting

Post by Ezmac Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 am

You can vote for anyone you want, yourself included, and any way you want--so 3 for yourself, for example.

In case of a tie, we would re-vote completely. I don' think this is likely however.
Ezmac
Ezmac

Back to top Go down

Proposed Government Empty Note

Post by qwikzotik Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:50 am

I should only be able to vote with one account. I have control of Qaadr's account right now as well, but I think it is more fair if I only vote one account.

qwikzotik

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by qwikzotik Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 am

I also think that if we do an election this way, we should have people who are interested / willing to be board members put themselves on a list of candidates. Though that will self select a bit, it avoids a situation where someone doesn't really want the responsibility and has it thrust upon them.

qwikzotik

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Pulpable Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 am

I like the plan...hopefully guildies are reading it. I also agree with qwik that we need some way for disinterested people to disqualify themselves so that they don't get stuck with an unwanted burden.
Pulpable
Pulpable

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon^^ Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:00 am

i'd take a seat Very Happy
totally up for that stuff anyhow
i agree iwth pulp and qwik too
brandon^^
brandon^^

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezmac Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am

I agree with Qwik and Pulp's suggestion. After we get a consensus on this plan, we can take a few days for those who don't want a board position to disqualify themselves and those who do to make a brief statement as to why they would be a good board member.

Pester folks to get on here and post their thoughts on the process or suggest an alternative. Let's get shit squared away so we can start making bank rules, etc.
Ezmac
Ezmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rack Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:47 pm

I think that the people we elect need to be willing to at least check the forums every day or every other day. As we have just experienced, bad things can happen very rapidly.

Rack

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendroydia Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Great plan Ez...100% behind this process of selection. Thank you for the post.
Dendroydia
Dendroydia

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Grazny Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree generally with EZ's proposals, specifically:

1. Establishing a 3 man "Board" with an option to expand to 5.

2. The process of Board votes on key issues. Also, can some decisions be made "provisionally" without a formal vote, with the understanding that folks have the option to call for one later? I figure as long as people know there is a system to challange a non-voted (and maybe even a voted) decision and be fairly heard we might be able to streamline the fundamental aspects of guild legislature.

3. Delegation power of the board. Hopefully the board will have some method of choosing from a list of interested candidates for specific responsibilites.

4. The "hands-off" philosophy of the board. This fits into what I mention in #2 above. The purpose of the board should be to support and streamline guild gaming, not the other way around. The board should vote formally only when necessary. Adoption of a new tabard, for instance, should require a vote, but if Rackette wants to personally pony up the dough and buy a new guild tab for everyone to use, then I think we can skip calling a Board vote. Deciding what the tab will be used for, on the other hand, should requre a vote, etc. etc. Once again, as long as people are aware of a system to challange decisions and be heard, I think we'll be OK.

I agree with Pulp and EZ. Only interested members should be eligible for Board membership. A simple signup on this site would do.

As Qwik brings up, I think a member should only cast 3 votes for the Board members once, regardless of how many accounts they have. I'm pretty sure that's what Ez meant -- 3 votes/member not 3 votes/account, but we may want to clarify, otherwise Rackette will use her husband's account to vote for herself six times.
Grazny
Grazny

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezmac Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:30 am

I agree with everything Graz said. The board would really be there to resolve disputes, provide an arbitration forum and establish rules that would materially affect all guild members.

I think since there have been no negative responses, we'll go forward with this plan of government for now. I'll post a new thread for voting.
Ezmac
Ezmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum