Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

tech question

4 posters

Go down

tech question Empty tech question

Post by pulpable Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I've been having some serious lock-ups that only happen with WoW (and WoW reinstallation). I've done all the fixes on the Blizzard forums to no avail, except upgrade my power supply (shouldn't be necessary, and I've disabled a few devices). Occasionally I'll get a short term fix that'll let me play for a night but it's pretty frustrating. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Details - the screen locks, no inputs work (alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del, nothing) and the computer must be restarted (it restarts as if nothing happened). the last couple of times, the sound has stuttered a little before the lock up. it doesn't seem to matter if i'm doing something graphically intense or not, if my graphics settings are at max or min, and it happens in full-screen and windowed,

Comp -
Motherboard: ECS GeForce6100M-M
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Memory: 8GB PC6400 (800MHz)
VidCard: Radeon X1300 512MB
SoundCard: Creative Soundblaster (I'm considering disabling this as well)

Thanks in advance

pulpable

Back to top Go down

tech question Empty Re: tech question

Post by Relina Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:40 am

Didn't someone else have this problem a little while ago as well? I'm not a PC user, but I'd have to wonder whether the video card is failing. Is there any way you can test it before going out and just replacing it?

I hope you can figure out what is causing the trouble. Nothing worse than having hardware go bad on you.
Relina
Relina

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Chev Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:44 am

He figured it out...it was his sound card. Go figure.

Chev
Admin

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Relina Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Yeah, right after I commented and went away for a while, I remembered some people having game issues when sound cards went bad. I just don't understand...

(I'm sticking with my Mac!)
Relina
Relina

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Pulpable Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:31 pm

so now i'm running barebones and still locking up; even tried taking the case cover off to improve cooling. i can still log and run around on my laptop, but the desktop just locks up...it's even locked up on me a couple times when i wasn't doing something WoW related.

the frustrating part is i had 2 good months on this system w/ no problems at all
Pulpable
Pulpable

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvakilla Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:31 pm

Ok first of all lets make sure your not infected with something. I'm going to need you to go to

and download the program on there. Its called hijack this. Once you have downloaded it extract it and then press the run and save log file button. Once that is done i need you to paste that log file on here. I will read it for you and then pass it off to my friends at tech-forums.net to review it for me. It is imperative that you do not delete anything until i read the log file over.

Once that is done we will try troubleshooting with you're system temps and such.

One more thing if you feel you are infected. You can go to this link It is a great bulletproof guide on how to remove infection from your pc.

Rvakilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvakilla Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 pm

The links i posted didn't work I'm going to try them while signed on.

Hijack this:

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html?tag=lst-0-1

Tech Forums Infection Removal Guide:

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f51/warez-monsters-4-step-spyware-removal-guide-114061/
Rvakilla
Rvakilla

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pulpable Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:01 pm

thanks for the suggestions rva; however, I went through the scans, and even reformatted the harddrive. the only programs on there now are windows, wow and a couple diagnostics. I also checked the temps and ran memory tests.

But the latest development...after checking a lot of non-wow forums (I had some suspicions about my vidcard) I decided to pick up a new power supply. My old one is about 6 years old and woefully underpowered. I'm hoping to be up and running again tonight or tomorrow (again, fingers crossed).

This computer rebuild has been an incredibly enlightening experience.
Pulpable
Pulpable

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvakilla Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Oh alright then cool. The guide is always there in case you need it. Gl with that psu i had to get a new one for the same reasons, it was fun but time consuming having to reroute the cables without killing air flow.
Rvakilla
Rvakilla

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pulpable Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:00 am

well, just had one successful night w/ new psu...hopefully it'll repeat tomorrow
Pulpable
Pulpable

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum